Saturday, July 12, 2008

The Great Utah CSA Experiment - Week 3!

This week announced the opening of a new grocery store by the Fashion Place Mall called the 'Sunflower Farmer’s Market’. It is misleading in that the name makes it sound as though it’s a true farmer’s market, where farmers come to sell their goods. Unfortunately, most of the produce sold was California grown – not surprising since the growing season is early here, but don’t be fooled into thinking that just because the name says Farmer's Market that you’re supporting local growers. Even the greens (which are in season here) were Californian. I suppose I should be happy I know where they’re from - nearly every sign was clearly labeled with both price and source. Some of the meat appeared to be local, though.

However, they did have some better organic prices than my local grocer, and confirmed other prices. They too had the organic arugula, baby spinach, and spring mixes in the 5 oz prepackaged varieties for $3.99. That was the only source of arugula they sold, confirming the price from the last few weeks; but they also sold organic spinach in bulk for $4.99/lb. Today, the prices given for each item are the best value between both stores.


CSA SHARE
Price(Organic)


Price ('Normal')Value

0.67 lb Red/Green Lettuce
1.32/lb



$0.88

0.51 lb Spinach
4.99/lb



$2.54

0.83 lb Chard





3.18/lb
$2.64

0.63 lb Romaine

1.32/b



$0.83

0.94 lb English Peas





2.99/lb$2.81

Either way, it’s still looking to be a good value, especially since I’m not likely to be driving 5 miles out of my way just to shave a dollar off the cost of my lettuce when I can give business to a truly locally owned store just a block away. (The Sunflower Farmer's Market is a small chain serving western states).

The romaine and red/green lettuce went with us to a friend’s house for a dinner salad. We also took the peas (pictured at right, shelled) for snacking – it was all very good. The chard I split with my mother, then blanched the rest and put it into lunch pockets – Craig was fooled into thinking it was spinach, which he likes, instead of chard, which he doesn’t: so that went well =)! The spinach sat in our fridge and was slowly whittled away in small salads and on sandwiches.

This week was rough on me and Craig. We went into it with room in our fridge and confidence in our ability to use anything sent our way, but we both got sick early in the week and weren't interested in adding more fibrous vegetables to our diet. Hence, the salads became smaller and we tried to share everything we could. As a result I was really excited to get our 2nd CSA share for the week and find that again, it was full of diversity.

CSA SHARE
Price(Organic)Price ('Normal')Value
1.43 lb English Peas


2.99/lb
$4.23
0.34 lb Red/Green Lettuce
1.32/lb

$0.45
1.0 lb Bing Cherries


1.99/lb
$1.99
0.25 lb Garlic


2.99/lb
$0.75
2" pot Parsley

3.99/4" pot
2.49/2" pot*
$2.49
2" pot Basil

3.99/4" pot2.49/2" pot*$2.49
*2” herb start prices obtained from Millcreek Gardens

The first thing I noticed when I opened the bag was an overwhelming potency of garlic. It was as over the top as the peppery flavor in the radishes from the last two weeks. I call it an overabundance of flavor, but it’s likely more correct to say that the store-bought varieties I’m used to just have a lack of it. The garlic went into my pantry, and though I haven’t used it yet, I’m VERY excited to do so.

The peas were shelled and frozen, and I must say I’m longing for young sugar snaps I can eat whole without the bother of shelling them. The lettuce was given to a friend; the cherries again made delicious midday snacks. I was most excited about the herb starts (pictured at left).

I’ve always loved gardening; it is unfortunate that our little apartment complex doesn’t have a room for it. Though I have a green outdoor thumb, it turns black the moment I come indoors. No indoor plants survive long in my house – it might be the black curtains hung to keep the light out =P. So I gave the two to my mother, and I know where she planted them. Every week when I go to visit I’ll be sure to clip a little of each for myself. =)

Recipe for Week 3:

-----Peppery Pastrami Sandwiches-----

2 large wheat ciabatta rolls, toasted
6 oz peppered pastrami, sliced
2/3 c. sauerkraut*
1/2 c. tat soy, chopped and blanched
2 oz pepper jack cheese
Spicy mustard

Spread the spicy mustard on the ciabatta rolls. Heat the pastrami, sauerkraut, and tat soy in the microwave until steaming. Layer the sauerkraut, pastrami, cheese, and tat soy between the ciabatta. Serve hot! (Serves 2)

*I made this initially without the sauerkraut and the sandwiches were good, but tasted as though they were really missing something. Don’t leave anything out!

No comments:

Post a Comment