Monday, July 13, 2009

The Great Utah CSA Experiment 2009 - Week 5!

Is it already week 5? While last year I felt I was drowning in greens and afraid of the next pickup, this year I feel like there isn't sufficient and I'm afraid the next one won't come fast enough. That's not to say I'm eating everything, I'm storing a lot of it. But I don't know if it will be enough to sustain me when greens season is over. Case in point: we received no salad greens this week, and only one bunch of chard.

Prices listed this week are again from the local Dick's Market, and non-organic. I received:

CSA SHARE



Price
Value
0.75 lb rainbow chard



2.62/lb$1.96
0.75 lb peas




3.49/lb
$2.62
1.63 lb zucchini




1.29/lb$2.10
1.25 lb summer squash




1.29/lb$1.61
0.56 lb baby purple carrots (tops attached)




*0.79/lb
$0.44
2.38 lb bing cherries




1.99/lb
$4.73

*Price based on loose normal carrots, the closest equivalent.


Cherries!! This is the first share (including all of last year) that I have received fruit from East Farms. They were really good. I ate them by handfuls, I shared with my family at get-togethers (where they received rave reviews), and my nephew happily polished off the last bit of them at a picnic. Yay for fruit!

And purple carrots (see photo at right). They taste like normal carrots to me, except that the outer 3 mm diameter is a deep purple color. Very pretty. My nephew (the same one who polished off the cherries) happily tried one, proudly showed it off to his family, and took a bag home with him afterward. This is the same family who thinks vegetable hash (sauteed zucchini and summer squash in butter and spices) qualifies as a dessert. That's okay, I have plenty to share!

Speaking of carrots, they have been piling up in my refrigerator (this is the 3rd week in a row for carrots). I like the flavor, and use them steamed and in smoothies, but I have a hard time eating them raw (my poor jaw!) And they keep coming with stems attached. A quick google search told me the stems were indeed edible and very nutritious, but it's hard to get past the flavor and texture. They make a good substitute for parsley, but I don't have a lot of recipes which use parsley by the cupful.

I experimented around a bit and found I could put up to 1/2 to 1 cup of rinsed carrot greens into my blender with the other smoothie staples (fruit, ice, juice concentrate, occasional yogurt) and have a nice drink without having the greens be too overwhelming. (Note: don't do 3 cups. Just take it from me.)

5 comments:

  1. 3 cups of carrot greens in a smoothie! Ha ha! You're funny! Have you seen the recipes I've been posting on my blog using the CSA veggies?

    ReplyDelete
  2. By the way - I made homemade cherry vanilla frozen yogurt with my cherries... mmmm... so delicious!

    2 cups plain yogurt
    1/2 cup milk
    1/2 cup sugar
    2 tsp vanilla extract
    1 1/2 cups halved pitted cherries

    Whisk yogurt, milk, sugar, and vanilla until sugar is dissolved. Pour into your ice cream maker and freeze according to the manufacturer's directions. Add in the cherries during the last 2 minutes of churning.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Place beets in steamer basket set in large saucepan with 1 inch of water. Bring to boil; steam over high heat until beets can easily be pierced with thin knife, 30 to 45 minutes, depending on beet size. Drain, cool slightly, and remove skins.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sarah, that frozen yogurt recipe sounds great! But I can't imagine steaming the beets for so long - my poor kitchen would be boiling! Maybe if I do it at night and open the windows. . .

    I like your gratin recipe, I'll have to try it, though the dehydrating steps seem like a bit too much work me =P.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, no, you've got to do the dehydrating step - just do that first and let them drain while you carmelize the onions. Trust me - it makes their texture creamy and silky like you won't believe!

    ReplyDelete