Thursday, August 27, 2009

Foraging Fun #2!

The wonderful thing about foraging is - once people know you're interested, they pass you tips!

During apricot season, I was tipped off by neighbors or family to a total of 9 apricot trees which were free for picking if I wanted any (this on top of those I spied from the public rowadways). In the end I got everything I needed from only 5 of them (two had already been mostly picked off), and my father and I together bottled 52 quarts of apricot nectar and 26 pints of apricot preserves! That's a lot of time picking, and a double lot of time processing/preserving, but it was totally worth it. I'm kind of sorry I didn't get to meet more random people on the street, but I think Craig is probably happier this way. I did get to know some new people in my neighborhood though, and they were all extremely nice.

Apricot nectar, for those of you out of the loop, is not just juice - it also contains processed juicy pulp (but it's not pulpy like orange juice pulp) which thickens it to a more syrupy consistency. It has a tendency to be tart, and so it's best mixed with other juices. It makes a wonderful breakfast blend mixed with orange juice.

To make nectar, first take ripe apricots, split them and remove the pit and any diseased portions. Steam them until well cooked and juicy, about 20-30 minutes. Putting ~2 inches of water in the bottom of a large canning pot full of apricots is sufficient. Once fully cooked, transfer the entire contents of the pot (apricots, juice, and all) through a Victorio Strainer and collect the nectar. Transfer to quart jars and process ~25 minutes in a steaming or boiling water bath to seal.

Without the Victorio Strainer (which is a great canning tool for many foods) you can take an immersion blender to the steamed apricot mash as a next best approximation, but this will leave the skins in, so try this with blemish-free skins.

Apricot preserves follow the same path, but cook until reduced, or thicken with pectin or Clear Jel (the latter doesn't add the flavor that pectin does, leaving a more intense apricot flavor behind.) We like to make apricot preserves with some cranberries (just toss in craisins) and a hint of pineapple as added with crushed pineapple. And, as always, sugar to taste; though we add very little sugar compared to most jam recipes. This leaves a preserves which tastes mostly like fruit, instead of tasting mostly like sugar. Transfer to pint jars and process for ~25 minutes!

Of course, this post coming in late August, you will all have to wait until next year to try it; unless you want to visit =).

2 comments:

  1. I want to visit! I have never canned before... CAN you believe it? Ha ha ha. We'll be gone to Las Vegas this week - Tuesday the 1st until Tuesday the 8th.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We'll have lots of grapes come late fall. Also, tomatoes coming up soon as well. Just let me know when you want to!

    ReplyDelete